Monday, August 11, 2014

August 11, 2014

This week was so fabulous. I'm so thankful to serve with Elder Whitlock. We get along so well which has been nice to have someone else helping Me fulfil our duties. Don't get me wrong, I loved training, but it’s different and stretching me to be here in Montego Bay in a great opportunity to serve my fellow missionaries. 
This week I have felt the spirit stronger than I have in quite a while. We have been blessed with many people that would categorize as "Elect"! 
      Monday we got lots of things done, it feels very good to have a full day, nothing more terrible to feel when you’re idle. That evening we collected some of the home teachers and took them to our recent converts! Gosh, I really wish everyone could catch the drift of Home Teaching, it was powerful and so very important to their staying active. We are having a FHE with the same individuals tonight!
    Tuesday was interesting, we did service at a homeless shelter, took way longer than anticipated. After though we had some great lessons. We met with a lady named Maurica. The Elder before had left the family with a Book of Mormon, but hadn't been able to see much cuz the baby’s father was having lots of medical issues. Turns out he thinks we are a cult and doesn't want to meet with us. Maurica and her 11 year old daughter are Solid though! We show up and they are in 1 Nephi 16, read some D&C and Pearl of Great Price, on top of watched ALL the discs multiple times in the Doctrine and Covenants videos and have a testimony and a knowledge that the Book of Mormon and the prophet Joseph Smith is true! Built my faith soo much to hear an investigator willingly say that! Gosh it’s been awhile since I have seen Elect Faith! Only problem now is getting separate houses and then get some baptismal dates, but other than that; great!
That same evening boy can I tell you what... we were sooo late to our next appoint so what do we do?? Speed to the next appointment going 200 km/hr!!!  Of course not!!! We latter day saints are law abiding citizens, totally changed my heart watching a different elder on Constant Spring get a ticket, not that getting the ticket was scary but the words the officer used hurt. "Oh you are a Mormon, and a missionary for Jesus Christ and you drive like that?" yikes, we represent after baptism in covenant at all times, places that we are in. Yes, I've been guilty in the past but that was a heart change experience. Just something to consider.. but yes as we were going 50 kph and if lucky sometimes 80 kph we show up an hour late or so to our appointment. It was a good lesson, no doubt. But the experience before was another faith builder, Jeffrey R Holland once said "obedience is the first law of anything!" and any blessing that we obtain it is due to obedience to the law it was predicated (D&C 130:20-21). Prior to the lesson there was a man mating his dog with our investigators’ and if we had shown up at the time planned we would have missed him! Everything we shared with him rang a bell, clicked for him and he was searching for this he says. We have an appointment this week.
I’ll try to cut things short! Needless to say my faith has increased ten fold in the converting power of the gospel of Jesus Christ, the Book of Mormon, and the power of prayer!
    Wednesday we also met with a man named Crishnah. He is opening a 5 star restaurant. He was way busy but always makes time for us. And he told us " I don't know what it is, but I feel calm when I come and meet with you guys, and I yearn after that feeling." (married to a member that lives in the states.) Whoa! There it is again! Spirit power away! He also had a friend there that works at a successful law firm. We retaught him and taught her the restoration. The spirit was powerful and she has great desire to learn more. One of the favorite parts of meeting with her was at the end she said " I can’t come to church this Sunday, actually wait.. I can make time." Everyone always says a next time, but you could tell it was routine for her, but she felt something this time!
    Thursday we had Missionary Leadership Council. It was 7 hours in freezing a/c! but the things learned were great, another very edifying meeting! I got my driving privileges and drove the 5 hours home. Driving on the opposite side was harder than I thought it would be. I definitely put a little mud on the tires and ran it through a few bushes in the attempt to dodge semis, taxis, potholes, and even black men, on black  bikes, in a black night, on terrible roads! Great experience. I feel much better bout the driving now!
   Friday met a man named Kemar. He took it as a sign meeting us. He loves to read the bible and listen to talks from pastors and such. He downloaded just two weeks earlier the same picture that is on the front of our restoration pamphlet! He is super spiritual and in the middle of soon getting married! 
   Saturday we had a wedding to attend for our investigator marrying a less active! Great opportunity to find many high up family people. But one of the highlights this week or I guess doctrine stuck in my head is Eternal marriage. Also taught in priesthood class and Pres Brown gave some insights on marriage in our council for some reason. We are so blessed to have it the way we do in this church. The doctrine of the temple and togetherness for time and all eternity are beautiful. The ceremony was.. strange and learned a lot, but good experience.! 
I love serving the Lord! He is returning numerous blessings my way! So thankful for the atonement of our Brother Christ, so super to be able to change and do much better day to day! Serving a mission is the best use of time for anyone! No regrets, I wish I could extend or start over! Thank you for all your love and support and prayers to get through the rough and push on to help our brothers and sisters! Bless you all! Nuff love!

Elder WIlkerson

Elder Whitlock and I in the truck

No comments:

Post a Comment